Friday, February 6, 2015

Pirate Cookies

Pirate cookies are on the agenda today. I'm taking you back several years to revisit two pirate cookies that will now be available at Ecrandals as cutters along with a pirate hat. 

I can't tell you how exciting it is to open a box from Eric and Jamie and find my designs gleaming up at me. I stare at them and wonder how in the world I'm going to force myself to open the neatly wrapped packages and expose their bright shiny surfaces to the elements. Then reality hits me. It's because of these meticulously formed works of art that I don't have to hand cut these shapes anymore, and the packaging suddenly disappears.

The best part however is knowing that I will eventually be able to hand down these sturdy beauties to the ones that inspired them in the first place.



Here is the set all together. The Pirate girl (top) and hat (left) are the new cutters. The Pirate Boy (right) has been offered at Ecrandals for some time now.



Now for some design history.
The adorable little girl in the picture on the left is my grand daughter Annabelle at the age of 5 or 6. Way back when I was designing my Pirate Buddy cookie she asked if I could design a girl pirate for her. Since my grand kids are my biggest fans and greatest inspiration I decided to go one better and design a pirate girl using her image for the cookie right down to the freckles. I first posted the hand cut version (photo on the right) on my Flickr site in 2011.



It starts out as a line drawing that I refine in my computer's paint program.




The Pirate Girl cutter and baked cookie.




My quick way to add outline areas to decorate by cutting out pieces of the template and marking on the cookie with a food marker.




Finished cookie with a slight design variation.




A new addition to my Pirate Designs is this Pirate hat, adapted from the girl's hat with a rolled edge detail added.




The Pirate Hat cutter, and baked cookie.




The finished cookie.
I've designed them for a more girly pirate here, but this can easily be designed for a boy or girl.
The inner hat detail can also be eliminated for a larger looking hat.




And lastly my Pirate Buddy which ironically was my first pirate design.
The boy and girl pirates were originally designed and posted in 2011 hence the old watermarked date.




The Pirate Buddy cutter and baked cookie.




The finished cookie.




Finished Pirate Set


♥ Happy Decorating ♥

5 comments:

  1. These cookies are INCREDIBLE, and darling! I am in awe! Your granddaughter must have been thrilled with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Annabelle loved them.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. These are SO adorable!! Love em!! Is the girl pirate cutter available for purchase at ecrandal? I'd love to try and make these. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you like them.
      Ecrandal doesn't seem to have the pirate girl or hat design up on their website yet, but I'm sure they will quote you a price. I sent them the design as well as the finished cookie photos back in February.

      Delete